Saturday, December 15, 2007

Steak, potatoes and veggies....

In the event that you were tired of reading about my emotional breakdown, I thought I would post something new to relieve us all of that burden.

I have met the most wonderful people, who I now refer to as my foster parents. They have taken us under their wing and have been a mom and dad to me and grandparents to my children. Thank the Lord for Quinn and Kathi Lewis. It heals my heart in many ways to have love and support from them.

Last night we got a baby-sitter and went out for a night on the town with Quinn and Kathi. They took us to a work Christmas party at a country club. It brought back a lot of memories when Sheldon and I worked at Des Moines Golf & Country Club in Iowa. We enjoyed a catered dinner. The food was superb. A live band played tasteful music that was subdued enough to have a converstaion at the dinner table. There was an open bar and those that were drinking did not even get drunk! Now there is a first! We received a party favor-the men received a molded chocolate fire truck and the women received a molded chocolate high-heeled shoe. Very cute (and yummy). I enjoyed myself immensely: I was in exceptional company, I was being waited on, the meal consisted of all my favorites-steak, potatoes and veggies, and was cooked by someone other than myself, I was not required to clean-up, the music was nice, and I knew that the young woman watching my children was capable and would do an excellent job while we were away. Aside from not knowing how to put on a diaper correctly, I was right. All was well when we arrived home, with the exception of Tyler's diaper being on backwards. Wouldn't you know if you put a diaper on backwards???? Perhaps I take for granted my "skills". I will never doubt myself again.

The boys are excited for Christmas. It is becoming more challenging to hide things from Cameron's all-seeing eyes. He has discovered numerous Christmas presents. One of them is a toy kitchen in a large box that I have nowhere to hide. He doesn't miss a thing. He is sharper than a tack, has exceptional verbal skills, and is borderline control-freak. Things have to be said or done in a certain way. Believe me, if you are in his company for longer than 2 minutes you will stand corrected on one thing or another. He is a loving and tender boy. He and Tyler greet each other with a hug and when Tyler gets in trouble or if Tyler gets hurt, Cameron is sure to cry right along with him. When presented with a Mickey Mouse stuffed toy he said, "It's DARLING"! When was the last time you heard a 3 year old boy use the word "DARLING?"

Tyler frequently has an impish look on his face, as he is often testing the boundaries. He is so fun and loving. His favorite thing to do is read books. Morning, noon, and night will reveal Tyler saying "book pease", as he walks over with several from the shelf. His language skills and vocabulay are improving rapidly. He uses a host of words now. He has perfected the animal sounds and can even do a wide open mouth when he sees a hippo. Tyler was sitting on my hip today and wanted my undivided attention. He put his hands on my cheeks, turned my face toward his, and gave me a kiss on the lips. (I think Dad and I need to be a little more discreet :)

Sheldon finished up 3 months of hell yesterday. I am relieved that it is over. So is he. He is back to his old self-laughing,teasing, playing, planning, helping. I will relish this next month while I remember how things used to feel together.

I am planning to have a very happy Christmas. Please do the same.

No comments: